Sunday, October 2, 2011

Curse of the Queerwolf: Rewind Review



I remember renting this movie at the now closed Video Magic (Although some people used to call it Magic  Video. The sign said Video Magic), back when they had the rent 5 movies, for 5 days, for 5 dollars. The caveat being that they could not be new releases. As a matter a fact I believe the movies were still on VHS. I love a good B-movie, although I've been known to watch the bad ones too. Anyway I was 14 years old when I rented this and all I could remember before tonight, was that I liked it.

Fast forward to today, 20-some years later. I finally got a chance to watch this again. It was hard to find, because it's not on Netflix, no DVD retailer has it, and it's not uploaded on youtube. I found that Amazon is selling the new DVD for $32.99! O_o Wow!

Let's get to the movie. I was apprehensive going into this, because I am a much more enlightened person now than I was at 14. I am firmly against homophobia, and I was afraid that maybe the movie could be seen as homophobic. I think that my fears were unfounded because the movie is a parody that lampoons homophobia and turns the concept of the "all American macho man" on it's ear (or rear as it were). Movies like "Black Dynamite" and "Don't Be A Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice In the Hood" lampoon stereotypes about black people and exploitation films that are stereotypical, by making the stereotypes themselves the joke. I feel that this movie is doing the same thing with a different subject.

After re-watching this movie as an adult, I have upgraded my memory of liking this movie to LOVING this movie. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I think as an adult I "got" more of the jokes. It also helped that now I am viewing it having seen the movies that it referenced. It is amazing that for a movie that has such low production value (seriously they must have used someone's lunch money for their f/x budget, and what kind of camera did they use? I have family home videos with higher quality.), it had really good pacing (They must have spent 99% of their budget on editing.), and the actors were great. [According to IMDb the budget was $10,000.] I do not know if this was entirely scripted or if a lot of the scenes were improvised, but this movie made me laugh out loud.

This movie is 23 years old so I don't think I have to, but just in case: SPOILER ALERT! 


My favorite things about this movie:

The way they sang the Queerwolf theme that was supposed to be a riff on the Damien theme, complete with the rolling Rs and old english style accented singing.

When Richard and Larry went out and picked up the "hot chicks", I liked how one was black (Holly). First because its so rare that a black woman gets to be a "hot chick", and second because it was not made a big deal by the characters.

The odd assortment of items Richard gets from the kitchen while entertaining Holly.

Richard shocking the food addict lady when she tried to eat the Twinky. That had me almost crying because it was funny on multiple levels. First just the concept of him shocking her is funny. Add to that the f/x for the electrical current looking so low budget, and her delivery of, "I don't think I want that." Then of course the outcome.

The "Ooh My Baby" song that Larry hears in the car, had me laughing so hard I almost couldn't breath.

The word "dickenthrope". I just giggled while typing that. My sense of humor will always be twelve.

Anything Richard Cheese said. Dick is the nickname for Richard, get it?

The name Mr. Wally Beaver.

The transformation scene.

The guy who always has a torch for no reason.

The  mountain men dream, within a dream, within a cheap shot. How they managed to reference "The Beverly Hillbillies" and "Deliverance" simultaneously is genius.

The restaurant scene with all the transformations.

Not Carol Ann saying "Theeeeyyy're Queeee-eeeerrrr".

The "fagxorcist"scene.

"The power of Budweiser compels you!"

"I pity the fool who don't compel you!"

"Even a wrist that is strong and firm, and holds up straight by day may become limp when the moon is full."


"We dusted the gypsy's head for fingerprints." [This is heard during the credits.]


So there you have it. If just reading this doesn't make you curious or give you a chuckle, check your pulse. You may be dead. 

Read Rewind Review of Basket Case!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. I love to hear what you think, but racist, homophobic, or sexist comments will be deleted. It's not that kind of party. Also please take 2.5 seconds to come up with a screen name, posting as "anonymous" is so unimaginative.